Read Replacing business rates: taxing land, not investment here.
Originally published at https://www.libdems.org.uk/taxingland-notinvestment
With Andrew Dixon, Dominic Humphrey and Max von Thun
Very quick summary:
- Offers a blueprint for replacing Business Rates with a commercial land value tax (with a focus on England and Wales)
- Models commercial land values and calculates what tax rate would be needed
- Discusses the likely economic benefits of this change, and of abolishing commercial stamp duty land tax
- Shows for the first time what the regional impacts would be, with bigger tax cuts in poorer parts of the country
- Looks at how existing Business Rates reliefs might be replaced.
Covered in The FT, The Sun, The Daily Mail and more. Adopted as Lib Dem policy at Autumn Conference 2018.